Sunday, April 15, 2012

Transformations.

The weather has been quite beautiful!  The warm beauty has allowed for some early gardening and time spent in the yard.

The flowers blooming. The birds chirping. BBQ's. Laying in beach chairs.  Eating homemade ice cream. Making art. Taking hikes. Planting things.

Spring is in the air.

On the weekends we have had some time to be creative around the house.

First up, the front door.

 All though nothing was wrong with the dark green, except some minor chipping, we decided it needed a bright fun color to spark it up!  I thought turquoise would be lovely, but my husband won me over, and we got sparkling apple.  I was hesitant at first, but I'll tell ya, it has grown on me.

So far we have received a thumbs up from a neighbor walking her dog, and another neighbor came over to say, "I love the door!"  My mom said, "wow as soon as I turned the corner all I could see was your door!"  It's true.  It is definitely bright!  Later that very same day we used the rest of the paint on our mailbox. Lovely. 






Next, up..the wind chime.  The wind chime was here when we moved in.
It was hanging by a thread, literally.
The wooden pieces holding it together were broken and the string was unraveling, the chimes hanging.  But hidden behind leaves, it still made a pretty sound, so we kept it.  However, after that crazy snow storm in October, the whole thing fell to the ground.

I watched it, on the ground, in pieces, for many weeks, from my kitchen window.

Many times I almost threw it out and bought a new one.  One day I sat outside and tried to glue it together, but it completely crumbled.
Then I really almost threw it out.  I don't really know why, but then I mustered up some perseverance, and took the whole thing apart and re-built it with things from my studio.  A brass ring, wood, hemp, and turquoise duck tape.
The new wooden pieces, you may notice, were painted with sparkling apple!


Now, the couch pillows!  My mom moved into a cute new place.  I took her old couch pillows and gave them a fresh new look!  Now they are a hot new item on our couch.










And for today...the bistro set!
I sent this picture to my husband from a very cool estate sale.

(Along with many others throughout the day, while he was at work, on a Saturday, to which he continuously replied, get whatever you want.)

It was marked at $30. I asked, how about $10, he said $15, I said $15 with these books, and he said okay,  I said deal!  (on a side note the books are super cool! one is hand colored from 1888!..score!)

Anyway, back to the transformation. This weekend we took sand paper and some turquoise spray paint to it, and heellllooo new bistro set!

I love a transformation way better then something new.. most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment