Saturday, September 29, 2012

Experimental Letterpress Printmaking

This summer during the end of August, after our trip to St. Croix, I went to stay in a cute little cottage and engulf myself in a week long art class.  I did this last summer, and it was an extremely memorable experience. I had a blast and was able to integrate my learning into my own practice and my classroom. 

Last year I took a Paper Making and Encaustic class where I learned each technique and how to combine them.  This experience was just amazing!  I LOVED both techniques, separately and together. Below is an example where I made a sheet of paper, collaged images/items on top, enclosed them in another handmade piece of paper, and dipped it into melted bees wax.
Feathers and Fishnets #2
This summer I took Experimental Letterpress Printmaking.  For one, it fit the dates I could attend, second, I have been loving printmaking lately as well as using text in my work and with my students, and third, my lovely landlord is a letterpress printer and runs her own website, Briar Press.

During the week I stayed at Clove Cottages, located in High Falls.  Although I mostly just slept there, I would definitely go back, and recommend it to others!  When I arrived I was given fresh eggs from their farm, (which I ate every morning) fresh kale and cherry tomatoes; and in the room there was homemade soap in the bathroom and granola in the kitchen. These lovely touches really made it for me.  Plus the land was beautiful and the cabin was quaint and cozy.


The classes were taught at the Woman's Studio Workshop, which was not far way from the cottages.  They offer an interesting array of classes each summer.  Although I enjoyed Paper Making and Encaustic more, I did have the opportunity to experience Letterpress Printing and make a lot of art!

And make a lot of art I did.  Honestly, once I start I can not stop!  I was getting into the studio at 7am, although the class did not start until 9, and left well after it was over each day.  I was even bringing my work home with me to continue some relief carving in between...well actually to my dear friend Andrea's home, where we made dinner and bonded each night!  Below are some images of my studio space, the Press, and my work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment